Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

I wonder...

I was working on a project for church today - something I am excited about and looking forward to putting into action.  Anyway, as I was researching and studying I came across this quote by Henry Ward Beecher:

There are persons so radiant,
so genial, so kind,
so pleasure-bearing,
that you instinctively feel, 
in their presence,
that they do you good,
that their coming into a room
is like bringing a lamp there.

Mr. Beecher's words made me wonder how people perceive me, or think of me.  I wonder, do I make people feel this way?  Do they feel like I do them good?  Do I light up a room simply by walking into it, or by leaving it?  I have always wanted to make others feel good just by being around me.  A memory came to me, just as I was typing out these thoughts - I was a student at Rick's College, and as shy as a person could possibly be.  Terribly, painfully shy.  I was taking an interpersonal communications class that was required for the program I was in.  A project was assigned by the professor to write something nice about each person in the class on a 3x5 card, make it anonymous, and at the end of the week we would give out the cards and be able to read what others thought about us.  This was a very difficult task for me.  I felt like I knew so little of my classmates, and since I was sooo shy and rarely opened my mouth how could they possibly know anything of me?  Besides,  I was invisible.  Seriously, I felt I was invisible.  I knew the cards I would get would most likely have practically nothing written on them, something like "you're nice".  When I went through my cards that day, yes there were a few that seemed contrived.  But I was surprised to see that despite my shyness some people really knew something about me.  They saw things in me that were deep inside, things I thought no one could see.  There was one that told me I had a beautiful smile and that I light up a room.  What a compliment!  Sadly, I mostly didn't believe it.  There was, and I guess still is a little part of me that hopes it's true.  I hope that one day someone might read this quote by Mr. Beecher and think of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment