Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Parable of the Mice

 I was thinking about how fear sometimes leads us to make bad decisions.  I made one a few weeks ago when I discovered there were mice in my house.  I signed up with a pest control company to get their services for a crazy amount of money because I just wanted the mice to be gone.  I was willing to do anything.  After some time passed in which I was able to calm down slightly and talk with family and friends I realized that I had made a bad decision.  Luckily I was able to get out of the agreement and don't have to pay the money.  

During that same week I attended a Relief Society weekday meeting where one of the sisters was sharing her insights regarding social situations.  This great sister, who is an amazing speaker, taught us that we need to make our first response one of kindness and that we ought to approach every new social situation in a positive light - see it as a journey of discovery, one in which we can discover new exciting things about a new person rather than anticipating that the journey will end in rejection, from either side.  I really liked her thoughts and I realized that sometimes I make decisions with fear as the motivator (more often than just when mice are involved) and that this is wrong and something I need to work on. 

 I guess the mice have been good for something!  If ever I have to give a talk on fear and faith I can share "The Parable of the Mice".  

I hope the mice will be entirely gone soon, never to return.  I am deathly afraid of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment