Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

RACK, Day 1

Today is December 1st, which marks the start of the advent season and the beginning of my Random Acts of Christmas Kindness plan.  I was busy today with lots of things going on, and have not had a chance to actually make up my little "RACK Advent Calendar".  As a result I was not sure what random act of Christmas kindness I would do today.  I stopped by Target, thinking I could buy a hot cocoa for the Salvation Army bell ringer, but alas!  There was NO Bell Ringer!!!  How could this be?  The Christmas Season is just not the same without the bell ringer!  I went into the store to buy some candy canes that I plan to hand out on another day.  I thought maybe I could buy a view gift cards and give them to Target patrons as a help with their holiday (and otherwise) purchases.  As I walked toward the checkout desks, I spotted a cute old lady - she was alone and went straight to the cleaning aisle.  I thought, she probably doesn't have a lot of money, or she'd check out more exciting areas of the store.  While the cleaning aisle has it's good points, you have to admit, it's not that amazing!  So, I quickly went over to finalize my purchase and get the gift card for her.  After paying form my items, I scanned the store for a pen, finally found one and wrote on the back of the card, and then set off looking for the cute little old lady.  I walked almost the entire store but could not find her.  I was feeling pretty sad because I really wanted to give the card to her.  As I walked toward the front doors and check stands I saw her!  Hooray!  


She had already bought her cleaning supplies, and was waiting for someone.  As I approached her, I noticed that she looked tired and sighed in either boredom or exhaustion.  
I walked up, smiled and said "Merry Christmas!"  in a cheery tone.  I handed her the gift card.  She brightened up, smiled and said "Oh!  What's this?"  "You can use it next time you come shopping!  Merry Christmas!" I replied and quickly ran out the door and to my car.  I don't know why I couldn't have slowed down - I got nervous and thought she can't refuse if I leave and she has no one to refuse.  
I smiled as I ran to my car.  It felt good to share with someone who wasn't expecting it.  As I drove home thinking of her, I began to cry - I don't know why!  I'm glad I was able to do something for someone, even though it wasn't much.  I hope it helped make her day just a little brighter.


Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment