Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Little House on the Prairie

My favorite show of all time:  Little House on the Prairie.  I LOVE it!!  I'm pretty sure I have seen every episode. Between my grandfather and I, we own the entire series.  I have been thinking of buying the newly released collection so I can have it in it's entirety.


When I was a little girl I watched LHOTP.  I wished that Charles Ingalls was my dad.  I hoped to marry someone just as amazing someday.  I wanted to look like Caroline and be as strong, kind, loving and smart as she was.  I really liked Laura - she was spunky and smart.  I wanted to be that way too - I felt that way inside, but was often too shy and scared to say how I felt.  She was awesome!  I loved to hate Mrs. Olsen and her horrible daughter Nellie.


Now that I'm a big girl, I still watch LHOTP (I even get to watch it with my awesome boyfriend!  He likes to watch it with me!  At least he seems to, and it's always his idea to watch it.  Maybe because he loves me so much??  Maybe he really likes LHOTP a lot???  Maybe it's both!  I hope so!!!).  I still love Charles and Caroline.  I heart their love story, the romance, the team work.  I love how they help each other.  I love how they've got each other's back.  I love how if they are wrong, the other can help them see it without tearing them down.  I love how they are quick to apologize when they are wrong.  I know it's just a show, and not real life, but I think it helped teach a generation about what life could be like if all the members of a family pull together to accomplish a goal.  It was a good example of how a wife could support her husband in love and build her children into strong adults and still maintain her own unique identity.  It was a good example of how a husband should support his wife in love, and build his children in love.  They both had responsibilities to help their children and each other, to make their family successful.  They both had unique roles, different from one another.  They fulfilled different tasks.  Even the children had tasks to accomplish.  They supported each other in those unique roles.  They seemed to glory in each other and the unique role that they other held.  The supported their children in the unique role and tasks that fell to each of them.  I just love it!!  


I'm sad that television today is so far removed from this ideal.  It seems like all that is available to us on television is the ugliness and evil that is found in this world.  I don't watch much TV these days - anytime that I do I feel sad and let down.  I feel frustrated and annoyed (there are so many commercials!  It seems like there's more commercial time than program time!)  I wish that there were more producers and directors like Michael Landon.  TV might be worth watching again if there were more shows on like LHOTP.  You know that phrase in the 13th Article of Faith??  "If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."  LHOTP definitely meets this criteria.



1 comment:

  1. I agree - there isn't much that is virtuous, lovely or of good report or praiseworthy on TV anymore. Even my favs - Food Network and HGTV always have to throw in garbage.
    You asked about the recipe for the pancakes. I served at least 10 with this and it was enough. I would cut it in half.
    the butter and sugar recipe made tons. I just kept it in the fridge in the baggie, and felt like I could have cut it in half so you could cut it in fourths. They are amazing.

    ReplyDelete